We’re well & truly into Autumn, which means it’s almost Halloween! I have to be honest and confess that I’ve never really been too bothered about this occasion before but this year, I wanted to make it somewhat fun for Bubs. What’s a better way to start the festivities than to bake biscuits? Here’s a recipe we used to make our Pumpkin Jammy Biscuits.
140g butter, softened
175g plain flour
50g icing sugar
finely grated zest of 1 orange
For the filling:
Strawberry Jam (we used Dalfour Strawberry Jam)
1. Preheat the oven to fan 160C / conventional 180C / gas 4. Put the butter into a bowl & beat with a wooden spoon until it’s smooth.
2. Add the flour, icing sugar and orange zest into the bowl. Beat together to make a softish dough. Knead into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
3. Roll the dough out onto lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 3mm. Cut 24 circles with a 7.5cm round plain cutter. Put them on baking sheets.
4. Using a small sharp knife, cut out Halloween faces on 12 of the circles. Gather up the spare dough and shape into pumpkin stems. Trim with a sharp knife if necessary. Press to the top of each biscuit to make the stem. Make lines on the faces side with the back of a round bladed knife to look like markings on a pumpkin.
5. Bake all the biscuits for 15 minutes or until pale golden. Leave to set for a while and to cool completely.
6. For the filling, we put a teaspoon of jam onto the cooled plain biscuit and spread evenly with a knife. Then pressed the faces biscuit side on top.